viernes, 14 de septiembre de 2018

THE CONJUNCTIONS

Resultado de imagen para conjunctions exercises
http://www.englishdailyworkout.com/2013/03/what-is-conjuction-coordinatine.html




https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U550nm8ZHw4





https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPoBE-E8VOc






A conjunction is the glue that holds words, phrases and clauses (both dependent and independent) together. There are three different kinds of conjunctions––coordinating, subordinating, and correlative––each serving its own, distinct purpose, but all working to bring words together.
Resultado de imagen para the conjunctions
https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/L31h-Coordinating-Conjunctions-and-Subordinating-Conjunctions-3411903

What Is a Coordinating Conjunction?

Coordinating conjunctions are what come to most people’s minds when they hear the word “conjunction.” They can join together words, phrases and independent clauses. There are seven of them, and they’re easy to remember if you can just remember FAN BOYS:
  • For - Explains reason or purpose (just like “because”) I go to the park every Sunday, for I love to watch the ducks on the lake.
  • And - Adds one thing to another I go to the park every Sunday to watch the ducks on the lake and the shirtless men playing soccer.
  • Nor - Used to present an alternative negative idea to an already stated negative idea I don’t go for the fresh air nor really for the ducks. Honestly, I just like the soccer.
  • But - Shows contrast The soccer in the park is entertaining in the winter, but it’s better in the heat of summer.
  • Or - Presents an alternative or a choice The men play on teams: shirts or skins.
  • Yet - Introduces a contrasting idea that follows the preceding idea logically (similar to “but”) I always take a book to read, yet I never seem to turn a single page.
  • So - Indicates effect, result or consequence I’ve started dating one of the soccer players, so now I have an excuse to watch the game each week.
  • Resultado de imagen para THE CONJUNCTIONS
  • https://englishstep3.wordpress.com/writing/conjunctions-and-subjunctions/
Coordinating Conjunctions
Coordinating conjunctions allow you to join words, phrases, and clauses of equal grammatical rank in a sentence. The most common coordinating conjunctions are for, and, nor, but, or, yet, and so; you can remember them by using the memonic device FANBOYS.
I’d like pizza or a salad for lunch. We needed a place to concentrate, so we packed up our things and went to the library. Jesse didn’t have much money, but she got by.

Correlative Conjunctions

Correlative conjunctions are pairs of conjunctions that work together. Some examples are either/or, neither/nor, and not only/but also.
Not only am I finished studying for English, but I’m also finished writing my history essay. I am finished with both my English essay and my history essay.

Subordinating Conjunctions

Subordinating conjunctions join independent and dependent clauses. A subordinating conjunction can signal a cause-and-effect relationship, a contrast, or some other kind of relationship between the clauses. Common subordinating conjunctions are because, since, as, although, though, while, and whereas. Sometimes an adverb, such as until, after, or before can function as a conjunction.
I can stay out until the clock strikes twelve.

https://www.grammarly.com/blog/conjunctions/

Conjunctions List

There are only a few common conjunctions, yet these words perform many functions: They present explanations, ideas, exceptions, consequences, and contrasts. Here is a list of conjunctions commonly used in American English:
  • And
  • As
  • Because
  • But
  • For
  • Just as
  • Or
  • Neither
  • Nor
  • Not only
  • So
  • Whether
  • Yet
  • Examples of Conjunctions

    In the following examples, the conjunctions are in bold for easy recognition:
    • I tried to hit the nail but hit my thumb instead.
    • I have two goldfish and a cat.
    • I’d like a bike for commuting to work.
    • You can have peach ice cream or a brownie sundae.
    • Neither the black dress northe gray one looks right on me.
    • My dad always worked hard so we could afford the things we wanted.
    • I try very hard in school yet I am not receiving good grades.

    QUIZ

    Conjunction Exercises

    The following exercises will help you gain greater understanding about how conjunctions work. Choose the best answer to complete each sentence.
    1. My brother loves animals. He just brought a puppy __________ a kitten home with him.
      1. But
      2. Or
      3. Yet
      4. And
    2. Answer: 4. My brother loves animals. He just brought a puppy and a kitten home with him.
    3. I’d like to thank you ______ the lovely gift.
      1. Or
      2. For
      3. And
      4. Yet
    4. Answer: 2. I’d like to thank you for the lovely gift.
    5. I want to go for a hike _____ I have to go to work today.
      1. But
      2. Yet
      3. Or
      4. For
    6. Answer: 1. I want to go for a hike but I have to go to work today.
    7. They do not smoke, _____ do they play cards.

      1. And
      2. Or
      3. Nor
      4. yet         
  http://grammar.yourdictionary.com/parts-of-speech/conjunctions/what-is-a-conjunction.htm

Resultado de imagen para THE CONJUNCTIONS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iExOojQZfMU

Correlative Conjunction Exercises

Complete each sentence using the correct correlative conjunction pair from the parenthesis:
  1. I plan to take my vacation _________ in June _________ in July. (whether / or, either / or, as / if)
  2. _________ I’m feeling happy _________ sad, I try to keep a positive attitude. (either / or, whether / or, when / I’m)
  3. _________ had I taken my shoes off _________ I found out we had to leave again. (no sooner / than, rather / than, whether / or)
  4. _________ only is dark chocolate delicious, _________ it can be healthy. (whether / or, not / but, just as / so)
  5. _________ I have salad for dinner, _____________________I can have ice cream for dessert. (if /then, when / than, whether / or)
  6. _________ flowers _________ trees grow _________ during warm weather. (not only / or, both / and, not / but)
  7. _________ do we enjoy summer vacation, _________ we _________ enjoy winter break. (whether / or, not only / but also, either / or)
  8. Calculus is _________ easy _________ difficult _________ (not / but, both / and, either / or)
https://www.gingersoftware.com/content/grammar-rules/conjunctions/conjunction-exercises/
                   

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario

PREPOSITIONS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_U39TtQElI https://www.quickanddirtytips.com/education/grammar/prepositions http://blogdemite...